Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Never stop learning

I had to explain to my students yesterday why I would be out of the classroom for the rest of the week.  I told them how I was flying to California to learn how to be a better teacher and to help others learn more about teaching.  We talked about how grown ups still go to school.

As I was telling them what I'd be doing one boy said, "Yeah, I know, its called college."

As I put the final touches on my packing, I do feel a little like I am off to college. I haven't attended an NAEYC conference in many years and the one I did attend was local for me.  Tomorrow, I am flying across the country to spend four days going to classes with people I do not know. And, I am also presenting.

While preparing for the workshop, I have had to challenge myself and analyze my teaching carefully.  I know that  spending time in the workshops will give both credibility to my philosophy as well as pose new provocations for me to reflect upon.  As educators, it is our responsibility to continually review what it is we are doing and if we are doing the best we can for our students.

It would be fantastic to meet any of my blog readers, so come to my Friday session at 10am;
  Become a Polar Explorer, feather a nest, and make it rain inside: Emergent Curriculum is not only possible in preschool, it's incredible!


I am excited to share what we have been doing here in our little red schoolhouse and to learn from so many other talented educators.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dana,
    I was at NAEYC today and I loved your session! I am an editor at Shell Education and Teacher Created Materials, and your session exemplified exactly the kind of design-based learning experiences that we are promoting in our professional products for early childhood educators. I love how a simple exploration of birds turned into a whole curriculum, all driven by the students' inquiry.
    I'd love to contact you to discuss your work, and the possibility of authoring for us in the future. Please feel free to take a look at our website at www.teachercreatedmaterials.com, and www.shelleducation.com, so you can see the kinds of products we offer. If you think this is something you might be interested in exploring, please let me know. I'd love to talk to you some more about it!
    Thanks again -
    Hillary Wolfe
    Editor
    Shell Education/Teacher Created Materials
    hwolfe@tcmpub.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your workshop was truly inspiring. Thank you for taking the time away from your school and family to share with us.

    ReplyDelete