This year we tried it on small terra cotta flower pots. The results were incredible and this time the results of our process actually have a function. We will be giving these little pots to the moms for Mother's Day.
We used acrylic paint so that the pots can be used outside.
1. Cover the hole in the pot by placing a small piece of duct tape inside the pot.
2. Write the child's name inside the pot.
3. Turn the pot upside down on a tray covered with paper.
4. Fill 4 small cups about 1/2 way with acrylic paint (we used recycled fruit cups so we could toss them after we were done). (Due to the cost of the acrylic paint, we limited it to four colors and 1/2 cup each. We showed them how to use a brush to scrape out every last drop of paint).
5. The children pour the paint on the top of the pot and around the edges letting it drip to cover the pot watching the colors swirl and mix as they drip.
6. Move the pot to a place to dry. It takes about two days for it to fully dry.
7. Remove the duct tape when dry, rewrite the child's name on the bottom and have him plant his seed or flower.