Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Our Sticky Easel


I recently read about this over at the Teach Preschool blog and I loved the idea of building on the easel.



This week I covered our easel with contact paper and secured it with duct tape.  I then put cups of pattern blocks on  one side and cups of colored yarn on the other.  The children have been exploring creating art on the sticky surfaces.

They have made designs, pictures, patterns and it is only Tuesday!  They are really enjoying this experience.










Surprisingly only one child asked if he could take it home.  Young children understand that it is about the process.  They are happy to make it and take it apart and make it again.

Give this a try-what else can you put on your sticky easel?

19 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I'm going to try this next week...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dana!

    I did this in my classroom but put the paper on our big window. It was so much fun! I posted about it on my blog and thanks for passing on that idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so great! I just found it on Pinterest. How long does the contact paper last? I teach kindergarten and I would love to do something like this in my classroom, my brain wheels are turning already!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Vanessa
    Kindergarten Schmindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea I make contact pictures for my daughter but always keep them by placing another piece of contact on top. However this is a fantastic way of learning patterns! Also it could be used to make story scenes by just cutting out the out the shapes with fun foam. If the children want to take it home they could always have a picture? Thank you for the post I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have done that! I sent home photos of the children's 'pattern block art' on request from a child, and it was so well received! But not something we can do all the time, I told them. Great idea, maybe will try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is this double sided contact paper?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is not double sided. I put the sticky side forward and use tape to hold it onto the easel. It lasted a few days. The children would add to it and take things off.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea! Thank you for sharing! I just tried this out in my classroom! It was a big hit!

    ReplyDelete
  10. where do you get contact paper from?

    ReplyDelete
  11. The contact paper can be ordered from a school supply place such as Discount School Supply, but you can also find it at your local superstore such as Walmart or even an office supply store. Just make sure to buy clear contact paper.

    ReplyDelete